Adding items to Gnome menus

I've always wondered how to add items to Gnome menus. Well, it turns out it is relatively easy - as you would expect - and its documented here.

It's as simple as creating a text file in the right place - refreshing easy compared to the binary shortcuts in Windows.

When I was working on ToolInstaller, I added support for Windows shortcuts by using the OrangeVolt ant tasks library.

Now that I have the missing piece of the puzzle, ToolInstaller could be easily modified to support Linux (GNOME).

ToolInstaller was a project I started years ago - it was inspired by how easy it was to install software on linux (i.e. apt-get, yum) by using a repository of software, combined with the simplicity of programs which can just be unzipped.

Popular posts from this blog

Slow, Buffering, Stuttering Udemy Video

Intellij tip - Joining multiple lines into one

Looking for IT work in Australia? JobReel.com.au!