Week in Review - 2010-17

Ubuntu 10.04 is here! I've been running Ubuntu exclusively (my wife has the only Windows machine in the house) since (I think) around 6.XX and it just keeps getting better. Last year I converted my parents to Ubuntu 9.10 and every now and then they boot into windows because they don't know how to do something, but thats just because I'm in a different country - otherwise I'd be able to help them a lot more, and show them around. I've got remote control working well now (Remmina has an option to drop the colours to 256 which means it performs fine across the Tasman) so that means I can show them how to do things easily.

I'm looking forward to the new social network aspect of Ubuntu 10, with tight integration into chat and social networks - hopefully this will keep me in touch with my family much more. By the way, I really like Gwibber, and look forward to seeing that evolve.

If you like the sound of Linux and/or Ubuntu, I encourage you to try it out. It can make an old PC feel young, and trying it out is pretty easy. I like the way Ubuntu can be installed on a USB stick so that you can boot from it AND you can save to it - better than booting a live CD - which is also cool, but lets face it, CDs and DVDs are obsolete. You can buy a 1T drive for $100 so you wouldn't even use them for backups would you?

I'm also set up on one.ubuntu.com which has been steadily improving over the last couple of months.

If you are looking for games on Linux, have a look at http://www.playdeb.net/. This is a great directory of games for Linux. Also see:

If you want to learn more about Ubuntu, check out:

Don't forget, there is a NetBook edition of Ubuntu, which may make your PC feel even younger - with a simplified interface its probably a good option for older PCs or non-power users. When all you need to do is surf the web, organise your photos, edit home videos and process documents, maybe the NetBook edition makes all that a little easier.

I've heard comments about gyms not being able to use commercial music without paying royalties. This sounds insane to me, but maybe it will help promote creative commons music. RhythmBox is a music player that comes with Ubuntu, and is integrated with Jamendo, Magnatune and Ubuntu One music store:

  • Jamendo: On Jamendo artists allow anyone to download and share their music. It's free, legal and unlimited.

  • Magnatune: We select the most amazing independent musicians and offer you unlimited downloading and listening for only $15/month.

  • UbuntuOne music store: Ubuntu users have access to purchase popular music from all of their favorite artists that make up an expanding catalog of millions of songs available in the Ubuntu One Music Store.


This makes finding music and buying music fantastically easy, and after my experiences with BigPond music and with iTunes being so closed, I say bring it! Any artists putting music out there that would be good for gym tracks should be getting in touch with these gyms and making themselves known!

Popular posts from this blog

Slow, Buffering, Stuttering Udemy Video

Intellij tip - Joining multiple lines into one

Looking for IT work in Australia? JobReel.com.au!