Installing Grails on Linux

I run Linux (Ubuntu 7.10) as my desktop operating system, and it's working out well. However, every time I upgrade Grails I forget to make the script in $GRAILS_HOME/bin executable and get this error:
prule@dev2:~/workspace/film-suggestions-grails$ grails clean
Exception in thread "main" java.lang.NoClassDefFoundError: org/codehaus/groovy/grails/cli/support/GrailsStarter

So, if you find yourself with this cryptic message, it is time to RTFM - the installation instructions actually point out:
If you get an error message, try to chmod +x the grails script inside the bin directory.

When I googled this exception I got unrelated stuff. Hopefully now if you search for this you'll find this post and be up and running fast.

Note:  I experience this problem because I always download the zip distribution. If you get the tar.gz binary, extracting this will preserve the correct file permissions.

Popular posts from this blog

Slow, Buffering, Stuttering Udemy Video

Intellij tip - Joining multiple lines into one

Looking for IT work in Australia? JobReel.com.au!