A recent Computerworld article referenced Linux, Mac OS X and Windows Vista. They linked Mac OS X and Windows Vista to their search but they didn't link Linux. Conspiracy? Oversight?
I've just started working on a new grails application, and early in the piece I hit this error: 2008-03-05 18:39:20.715::WARN: Failed startup of context org.mortbay.jetty.webapp.WebAppContext@1fcb845{/jtchat,/home/prule/workspace/jtchat/web-app} org.springframework.beans.factory.BeanCreationException: Error creating bean with name 'org.codehaus.groovy.grails.plugins.web.taglib.ApplicationTagLib': Initialization of bean failed; nested exception is org.springframework.beans.factory.BeanCreationException: Error creating bean with name 'grailsUrlMappingsHolder': Cannot resolve reference to bean 'urlMappingsTargetSource' while setting bean property 'targetSource'; nested exception is org.springframework.beans.factory.BeanCreationException: Error creating bean with name 'urlMappingsTargetSource': Cannot resolve reference to bean 'grailsUrlMappingsHolderBean' while setting constructor argument; nested exception is org.springframework.beans....
Its really easy to convert a DVD or CD into an ISO file. Its really fast too (10MB/s or 5 mins for 3.6GB). Use the dd command to create an ISO image: dd if=/dev/dvd of=/tmp/mydvd.iso Now, if you want to access the contents of this ISO image you can mount it and access it like a normal DVD player: mkdir /mnt/iso mount -o loop -t iso9660 /tmp/mydvd.iso /mnt/iso To unmount use umount -d /mnt/iso If you use this to backup your DVD collection, you can play them back using VLC Media Player. This lets you 'open a disc' and you can use the URL dvd:///mnt/iso to access it like it was in the DVD tray. Very cool! Its nice having the whole disk as one file, which you can mount when you like to access the individual files. No more messing around finding disks and having problems reading them when they get scratched. You can play straight from the iso (without mounting it) with Xine. Use: xine -pfhq dvd:/path/to/iso Xine can be installed with apt-get install xine-ui
An Optus representative came knocking the other week, and explained that by having an Optus home phone, broadband and mobile phone (which I have), I'd qualify for a 25% discount and free Fetch TV . Now, this is all GOOD. I had to upgrade my mobile plan from $29 to $30 (for which they wanted a $100 plan change fee), but hopefully my next bill will be 25% smaller (down from $80ish to $60ish). And, I'm currently enjoying the Fetch TV experience. This set-top box has a 1T hard disk, and a pretty good interface for navigating the recordings and (free albeit old) IPTV movies. I'm not saying its the best, but it does have me considering turning off the MythTV media center since it takes care of recording terrestrial TV (but I would need a DNLA alternative or similar for watching audio/video/dvds - maybe a NAS? or XBMC?). See https://www.optus.com.au/shop/broadband/bundles/85 An interesting point to note, now that I have FetchTV I can rent and stream movies for approx $6.50 -...